Thursday, November 19, 2009

Flora's Meat Loaf Mallerby

For my first post, I am going to post two recipes as a little bonus. One of our staple meals is meatloaf, mashed potatoes, and corn. The family absolutely loves this recipe, I hope you do too!

FLORA'S MEAT LOAF MALLERBY

1 pound ground beef
Dash celery seed (or celery salt)
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/3 cup milk
1/4 cup bread crumbs
1 egg, beaten
1 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
3 Tbsp. brown sugar
1/4 cup catsup

In a large bowl combine the ground beef, celery seed, onion, milk, bread crumbs, egg, and Worcestershire sauce. Shape into a ball (I usually make it more like a log in a 13 x 9 pan) and place in a baking pan. Combine the brown sugar and catsup, and pour over the top of the meat loaf. Bake in a 350 degree oven for 45 minutes (I find it takes more like an hour). Serves 4.
Note: I usually double this recipe so that we have plenty of leftovers!
Note: This recipe is from Aunt Bee's Mayberry Cookbook

Bonus Recipe:

CHEESE POTATO CASSEROLE

Instant mashed potatos (enough for 8 servings)
1/2 tsp. garlic salt
1 Tbsp. parsley
1 cup shredded sharp Cheddar cheese (4 oz.)

Heat oven to 325 degrees (I put this in the oven with the meatloaf after the meatloaf is about 3/4 of the way done at 350 degrees). Prepare the instant potatoes as directed on package except decreasing the sale to 1/2 tsp. and adding the garlic salt. Stir in the parsley and 3 oz. of the cheese. Put the potatoes in a casserole dish. Sprinkle the remaining cheese over the top. Bake 20 minutes. 8 servings.
Note: This recipe is from Betty Crocker's Good and Easy Cookbook.

I hope your family enjoys this recipe as much as ours does!

Joni

1 comment:

  1. Hi! I've been making this same Aunt Bea's Meatloaf for years and love it. Lately we've been trying to cut back on red meat and cholesterol, so I make it with bison. It's expensive, but much healthier, and tastes great.

    Thanks so much for posting this recipe!

    Kathy in Denver

    ReplyDelete